There’s a commonly believed relationship myth out there: “Everyone in the family will be happier if we just get a divorce.” Do you find yourself thinking the same thing? Are you wondering if you’ll be better off apart?
Well the truth is, in most cases, this is far from the truth. There are countless research studies that show that children of divorced parents often have lower self-esteem and many have significant difficulties later in their own relationships. Further, many kids whose family’s are going through divorce experience a drop in their grades, have an increase in behavior problems, and have a higher incidence of drug and alcohol abuse.
So, the excuse that a couple is divorcing for the children is just that, an excuse, unless there is extreme long-term fighting in the home, and of course, if there’s violence; in which case the family needs counseling immediately and I would then say that the family may indeed be better off apart. But in most cases, it’s better to work on the marriage, make it better and stay married. And that’s not just for the kids!
I’m also often astonished by how many people think that their own lives will get miraculously better if they get divorced. They fail to fully comprehend the impact of this kind of decision: significantly decreased financial resources, giving up half the power and control over how their own kids are being raised not to mention giving up half of the time with them, potentially dealing with new spouses and maybe even step-children, and many people actually fail to appreciate the possibility that they could spend the rest of their lives alone. Plus, whatever issues they brought to their first marriage, are just as likely to be brought to any subsequent relationships, so in the end what have they gained?
So the bottom line is, the research proves that couples and families are happier in the long-term by staying together and improving their relationship. If you’d like to know the 5 Secrets to Save Your Marriage, Check out our FREE Webinar.
Want to Register for Our Free Webinar
"5 Secrets to Save Your Marriage?"
Feeling stuck? Want to save your marriage but aren't sure how? Register for our FREE "5 Secrets to Save Your Marriage" Webinar and you'll discover:
- The answer to "Can my marriage be saved?" Dr. Dana Fillmore will tell you how almost any marriage can be saved even if you’re the only one working on it
- 4 Relationship Myths that are probably getting in your way – Believing in these myths can actually prevent you from saving your marriage
- How to avoid common mistakes you may be making in your marriage. Did you know that most people’s attempts to save their marriage fail?
- The most important thing you need to do to save your marriage – And you’ll be surprised it’s practical and easy to apply for almost everyone
- Clear, straightforward steps that you can take immediately to get your marriage on track
Have you recognized any other Relationship Myths holding you back? How can we help? Please comment below.
Dr. Dana Fillmore and Amy Barnhart, co-Founders,
Find Out How You Can Stop Divorce. Visit http://strongmarriagenow.com